The Office of Religious has one person- the Diocesan Director of Religious Education. The Diocesan Director serves as a resource in the field of catechesis and faith formation.
The director visits twenty-two of our parishes which include the five parishes in the Fairbanks area, the four on the rural road system, the five remote parishes/missions on the Northwest coast and the eight remote native villages in the interior. The director provides on-site training and assistance in catechist formation, sacramental preparation, adult faith formation and in their religious education programs. When requested the Office of Religious Education also provides resources to the Southwest region of the diocese.
The following areas are addressed by the Office of Religious Education:
1. Religious Education Certification for catechesis
2. Adult Faith Formation
3. Sacramental Preparation - Baptism, Reconciliation, First Communion, and Marriage Preparations
4. Resource to the Catholic School
5. Total Community Catechesis
6. Consults with Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Catechesis is intimately bound up with the whole of the Church's life... her inner growth and correspondence with God's plan depend essentially on catechesis.
Catechesi Tradendae ( On Catechesis in Our Time ) no. 13.